Friday, May 23, 2014

And Then There Were None...

Maybe it's just me, but if Peter Vermes were to come to me to play center back for this team, I'd probably run the other direction.

It's not just that I'm an overweight 43-year-old, which I am, but considering all the injury problems this team is having with the center back position, I don't want any part of it.

Those problems continued tonight when Chance Myers went down late in the first half against Toronto. The early word is that it's a left Achilles' injury and Myers will have an MRI in the next day or two to see how bad the injury is.

All that said, with the patchwork quilt quality to the lineups that Vermes is having to use, it's still impressive they were in a position to win the match entering stoppage time. Unfortunately, this team has now given up five goals in second half stoppage time this season, which leads the league.

Not only were they up a goal, but they were up a man after Steven Caldwell's 63rd minute red card for his foul on Toni. Caldwell went into Toni with his studs up, connecting with Toni's groin. Referee Baldomero Toledo did not hesitate in dismissing the Toronto skipper.

Sporting KC was up 1-0 at the time, but quickly gave up the equalizer.


Dom Dwyer took over the league lead in goals with his ninth and 10th tallies of 2014. He is also the third person in franchise history to score in four consecutive matches. Dwyer's scored six goals in that span.

Dwyer is tied with Eddie Johnson (2007) for 2nd-longest such streak. The club record is held by Preki, set in the club's inaugural season in 1996.


Former Sporting KC goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen received his MLS Cup championship ring on the field before the game. He received a loud roar from the sellout crowd at Sporting Park.

It was loud enough that I had a little trouble hearing PA announcer Eric Danielson. That's loud.


And in the weird moment of the match, when Igor Julião was down on the pitch in the first half, he yakked on the grass. It was obvious that's what it was because it appeared to be bright orange from up here in the press box. Lots of people commented on it and it came close to getting stepped in. Ball almost rolled through it once.

They waited until halftime to actually clean it up, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment